Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Trip to the Big Apple

We traveled to NYC the week prior to Halloween...our third time together and Kate's first. We had a great time visiting Gabrielle, Tami and Ryan. When we returned home, Kate kept asking where Aunt Tami and "Abby" are...(sorry, Ryan, not sure why she's so enamored with them!). Of course, they are here this week and Kate will be confused and asking for them constantly when they leave!

Planes, Trains & Automobiles: Kate travels very well. The plane trip was textbook...Kate was perfect both legs. She actually ended up sitting on a total stranger's lap during landing on our way to the city so she could look out the window! In the car ride from the airport, she was talking the entire time (dad, sound like someone you know?) and eating, of course. The driver was hilarious. He said, "my she's a happy one, isn't she?!" As we drove through Chinatown, we were stopped at a light and I hear a "Elmo, Elmo, Elmo." I start looking out the window at a t-shirt shop. Those of you who have been to NYC understand...this place is loaded with crap and somehow Kate picked out a tiny shirt way up in the corner with a picture of Elmo on it.

Traveling on the subways was okay, but definitely a bit of a pain with the stroller...even with 2 extra pair of hands. A few of the stations are handicap accessible, but not all and boy did that make a difference.

The Sights: New York was great. We had a couple of beautiful days in Central Park, including a visit to the zoo (Kate really loves animals...). She even grew brave enough to feed the goats after watching her big cousin do it (yes, I let her feed them--we washed afterwards!). Kate also loved the American Museum of Natural History (so many animals....even if they are stuffed or just bones, she didn't care). Keith and I took Kate to our special spot at the boathouse. She snacked and enjoyed the view almost as much as we enjoyed our drinks! Keith and I also enjoyed an amazing sunset overlooking the Jersey coast and the Statue of Liberty. It rivaled Key West's gorgeous sunsets I kid you not. And, we enjoyed it without having to chase our little one all around while sipping our adult beverages! The worst part of our trip...an outing into Times Square. The only thing that salvaged the day was finding fantastic bbq in the middle of the city and enjoying lunch with Keith's step brother! I have to say, I'm not sure if I ever have to go back to Times Square again in my life and especially not on a rainy, cold day! We did take Kate to the NYC public library, children's spot. She enjoyed pulling the books off the shelves and having us read to her. Another highlight to what was otherwise a dismal day.

Kate's most favorite part of the trip definitely was playing with Gabby's kitchen. Every day, Kate would wake up and say, "kitchen" and every night, she would look at me as I put her to sleep and say, "play....kitchen..." She was so occupied while we were there that I think she barely noticed if I was in the apt. and absolutely adores her older cousin.

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and are so thankful Tami & Ryan opened their apt to us and Gabby gave up her bedroom. While we had a terrific time, after being in the small apt. for 5 days, we were all very glad to be back home.


Don't forget to check out our pictures of the trip.

1 comment:

tlmicallef said...

We loved having you! Can't wait for your next visit.