Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Catching Up: The First Two Months


April 24, 2008:

Seven weeks ago my life changed drastically. It already had changed quite a bit during the 38 weeks leading up to March 5, 2008, but the real change occurred the moment Dr. Sweet placed our miracle of life in my arms. As I looked at our daughter I was amazed at her perfection and had only begun understand the reality of my new responsibility. Seven weeks later, I fully understand. I am tethered to an infant—both physically and mentally. Even when my husband watches over her, my mind and heart are still concerned with her activity. Is she doing okay? Did she take the bottle? Do you have enough milk (now not a problem since we have healthy supply in the freezer). Whatever I do for the rest of my days, I will be concerned for this child (and later adult).

How does this new mommy spend her days?
Today I consider it a treat to run up to Target or go to the “Mommy & Me” luncheons (I find myself thinking up excuses on a regular basis for why I need to go to Target). Seven weeks ago, it would have been just one of a hundred things I did in a day. My days before were well planned, but now I find myself planning what I will do in one hour stints while Kate naps. At 8:30a, I’ll take a shower and eat. During the next nap, I’ll write thank you cards (or this blog or her baby book). Granted, I do find time to keep up with some things while she’s awake (like laundry, emptying the dishwasher and eating), but I prefer to spend what little awake time we have playing with her and helping her to develop motor skills (a-apple; eh-elephant).

At first, most of my time was spent nursing her and holding her while she slept (and reading, reading, reading). But now at 7 weeks, she is beginning to go to sleep on her own (as long as Pooh Bear is properly wound and the pacifier is in her mouth). As I write today, our textbook baby has just fallen asleep in her crib (what a good girl)! To top it off, this is the second consecutive day that she has slept through the night. I’m overcome with pride and accomplishment.

How much has Kate changed?
Physically, I’m already looking at new infants and saying, “Holy cow, was Kate that small?” She looks so big next to 3 and 4 week olds and she’s only 7 weeks old—every week there is such a big change!! Now, stick her next to a large 5 month old, like her cousin Sam, and she looks petite as anything. It’s relative, of course. However, she is growing a lot. She’s outgrown almost all of the newborn clothes and the newborn diapers. She’s developing her motor skills, too. She looks at me instead of through me. She responds to me when I talk to her and she is beginning to coo and “talk” back. Her smile melts my heart—especially when her pooping or passing gas does not accompany the smile! She does make some pretty wild faces while doing her job. Keith and I are hoping to catch it on video—isn’t that funny? This is what we call entertainment: taping your baby while she poops!

Planning my errands around a feeding schedule can be challenging, but overall I’m enjoying this new life of mine even if it is tethered to another!

No comments: