Monday, June 9, 2008

Easily Entertained!

How easily I’m entertained these days. Who knew a smile of recognition or a giggle could bring such joy? Who knew it would be so much fun to sit and sing nursery rhymes over and over and over again (and just think, I have at least 3 more years of this ahead, right?)!

Kate is truly blossoming this week and has begun laughing (she especially likes bathtime)! I already feel such pride when we are out and about and people ooh and ahh over her that I can’t imagine how I’ll feel once she actually grows into an independent and successful woman (you know, in 5 years or so)! As a new mommy, I also am surprised by the emotional tug I feel at my heart when she is upset and crying and takes a few moments to soothe. I’ve become quite an emotional basket case. When I think of Kate and how much I love her, my eyes well up and my heart aches with joy. These are feelings I’ve never known. Will Kate know how very much she is loved? Will she ever understand how she fills her mother’s heart with so much joy? The answer, I feel, is that she won’t know until the day she too becomes a mother. So, I’ve now joined the club of motherhood and I love it.

I once derived much of my persona from work. I poured myself into my career and dedicated myself to being a model employee and giving as much of myself as possible. Despite the many, many accomplishments and successes I can honestly say that I never once felt the triumph that I feel when I successfully soothe Kate to sleep and place her in her crib. I do miss working a little bit. I enjoy helping people communicate and love writing, but I know I have a lifetime ahead of me to continue working and will take my time picking up freelance projects as long as we are financially able. Spending time with Kate is a joy like none other!

Keith and I have ventured out to dinner three times with family or friends and each time Kate behaved perfectly. Last night, we ate at Liam Fitzpatricks, a trendy new Irish Pub. Kate was right at home (of course she was with a name like Kate Macfarlane). She only grew a tad fussy when the wind surprised her and her bedtime approached. Of course, I’ve taken her out for lunches numerous times and we do have quite a busy social schedule with all Kate’s friends from the weekly Breastfeeding Friendship Network we attend. Of course, I feel so proud at her excellent behavior (this well behaved child must be a reflection of superb mothering). Hopefully when she isn’t such an angel, I’ll remember that her behavior perhaps is not a sign of poor parenting and just her way of expressing herself…).

1 comment:

Aunt Betty said...

I have often thought of ways to put words to the Love that I felt as a Mother. But, my dear Stefanie,Sweetheart, you do it perfectly. Keith is a very lucky man with two wonderful women in his life. Can it get any better?
Love you all,
Aunt Betty