Thursday, February 9, 2012

Farewell 2011...

It's no secret to anyone close to our family that 2011 was a very difficult year. That is the primary reason that the blog posts declined so rapidly--even though there were so many cheerful and happy moments, I couldn't ignore the tragic ones and couldn't possibly write about them. We truly are blessed in many, many ways, but the loss of a grandmother, aunt/godmother and great-grandfather in one year left a big hole in our lives and our hearts.
The result for Kate...she openly discusses death and understands the finality of it. She plays dead with her friends from time to time (laying on the ground very still and sometimes picking up grass and throwing it on herself). I try to neither discourage or encourage it. We have a cemetery near our home that we pass by a couple of times a day most days. After describing what a cemetary is, she asked to go visit it (amazingly, none of our losses involved an actual buriel). She wondered why her grandmothers were not there and I then had to explain how some people choose not to be buried. She did not like that at all and said, "when I die, I want to be put in a box in the ground."
In September we said goodbye to my mom at an amazing celebration of her life. The entire family came together -- even my aunt/Kate's Godmother who was near the end of her own days. Kate enjoyed dancing with her cousins and celebrating her grandma. It was so wonderful to see everyone--I only hope our next occasion to get together is a wedding or reunion. By the end of the month, Kate and I were back in Michigan to have one last visit with my dear Aunt Betty. I will always treasure the hug she gave me and always keep her close to my heart. I miss her wonderful advice and praise nearly every day.
We also said goodbye to Kate's baby clothes and gear in September with the mother of all garage sales. As we sold each outfit and item, I could remember the backstory...who bought it, where we wore it, or how much she played with it. I managed to get through the day without crying. We sold a ton and donated what was left. Keith and my sweet father helped me to setup the night before...we had 9 tables FILLED with clothing organized from birth through 4T. Most people who came through commented about how organized everything was. My favorite question of the day, "how many children did you have?" Even better was the look on the face of the questioner when I said, "one."
Kate chose her Halloween costume this year with relative ease. After looking through the catalogues and discussing with me for a couple of days, she insisted on Strawberry Shortcake. I was shocked since I was certain we'd be Rapunzel like so many other girls the past two years. Lucky for me, I got to be Plum Pudding instead of Mother Gothel, though Mother Gothel certainly would have been a fun costume. Kates' good friend Abby decided to also be Strawberry Shortcake. The girls were adorable with their matching red wigs! When Kate and I went to the Halloween store to pick up her costume, she sat down in the parking lot crying. I dragged her to the sidewalk where her shoes fell off and as I was trying to calm her down and put on her shoes, her classmate, Preston showed up with his mom (and little brother). He held Kate's hand and showed her how to be "brave." Throughout the season, she kept insisting she was not scared because of Preston, but would still cry and bury her head at the sight of a goblin, ghost or ghoul in the stores. Trick or treating she was a little bit braver, but mostly because she had her good buddy Lexi to hold her hand!
Kate watch the entire Macy's Day parade this year and was thrilled to know Gabby, Aunt Tami and Uncle Ryan were watching it in person! I managed to make gravy for the first time without my mom's expert hand. Grandma Sandy leant some advice and support and Aunt Jen was helpful as always. Cleanup was a breeze with my sister Heather while her girls and Kate played. Papa Paul brought Grandpa White for what would turn out to be our last visit with him.
I celebrated my 40th year and enjoyed a wonderful party surrounded by friends and family. I was honored to have Mimi and Joe, Terri, Tami and Ryan all fly down for the occasion! We arrived to the party in style with our limo and danced the night away.
We enjoyed some fun times with Tami and Gabby at Disney World, Universal Studios and Sea World--it was a marthon week visiting each and every park in one week's time! We finally enjoyed the Christmas lights on the castle at the Magic Kingdom as well as watch the Electric Light parade (which Kate loves as much as her Papa Paul and mommy). It was such a treat to watch with my sister Tami who I swear it seems like yesterday that we watched it together as kids. It's fun to see that we still like the same floats after all these years.
Kate's holiday season was magical. She enjoyed her many visits with Santa and never faultered on her key wish list items: Ariel Bath toy, Hello Kitty PJs and Lalaloopsy mini doll. Just before Christmas, she decided she wanted to add the Belle plush dolle to her wish list from the Disney store. I told her it was a little late, so instead she returned a duplicate gift for it.
Santa sent us our Elf on the Shelf, Herme, this year. It was so much fun to find his hiding spot each day. Kate was so excited one day that she nearly touched him (actually did on accident) and cried and cried because she was sure he'd lose his magic. Herme was smart enough not to get within hands reach again. He also only spent one night on the Christmas tree after a disastrous accident where he fell off the tree and broke Kate's favorite and brand new Hello Kitty ornament. Lucky thing she did not see the accident and that Target had one last ornament. Herme really helped Kate behave--I only had to ask if Herme would like what she was doing and she'd stop whatever it was and move on.
Christmas was truly wonderful with Kate this year. Her wish list was reasonable and her excitement high. She helped decorate our tree after picking it out at our favorite tree seller (direct from Michigan of course). The tree again stayed green through New Year's day. It was so perfect that Uncle Ken didn't realize it was real!! We spent Christmas Eve with Papa Paul and Heather. It was hard since this was always mom's holiday, but my dad was a wonderful host and put out a delicious spread for us. We raced out at 5p to make 6p mass in Sanford. Walked in right as they started the first reading... I'm so glad we made it to mass on Christmas Eve. It made it so much more magical for Kate to wake up Christmas morning and open presents! Of course we were joined by Aunt Jen and Grandma Sandy. Despite our begging, Papa Paul didn't join us for Christmas dinner.
We rang in the new year with Uncle Ken, Ryan and Keith McCaffery and Papa Paul. Kate went to bed at a decent hour, not at all caring about the new year festivities. We had a lot of laughs and all kissed 2011 farewell. Because we are so blessed to have Kate, we have many wonderful and fond memories of 2011, but despite all of those, it is still a year I am glad to leave behind. We are hopeful that 2012 will be less tragic and look forward to the good times ahead with our ever sweet, ever growing Kate.

No comments: