Sunday, July 12, 2009

Kateisms - July 5, 2009

"Kateisms" are little things she does today that may be gone tomorrow, but that are endearing, touching and sometimes just plain silly...here are some notes from the week of July 5.

  • For the longest time, Kate only signed "daddy" and said "da" everytime she heard him open the door or come home. Secretly, I wished she would say "mama" or at least sign mommy more frequently and not just when she is upset. I mean, I do change most of her diapers, prepare all of her food and spend all day with her every day, right? Well, within the past two weeks she has suddenly learned to pronounce "mommy" VERY CLEARLY. It's also amazing the intonation variances she already uses. It's often the very first thing she says in the morning, the last thing she says at night and probably the word she says the most throughout the day. While at times it can be a little -dare I say - annoying, I have to admit it is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard and at times fills my heart with pure happiness.
  • Typically when Kate doesn't like something I give her (often a meal I was certain she'd devour), she will hand it back to me. Yes, take the food out of her mouth and hand it back to me.

  • As the slightly neurotic mother that I am, my daughter has not been given full range to use her spoon and fork without extremely close supervision. This week, I've given her a wider berth and to my dismay she has taken to food flinging. Not on purpose...she likes to dance while eating and often in mid-scoop she is overcome with the sudden need to lift her arms in the air. Oh, joy...

No comments: