Last week we celebrated our first Christmas with Baby Kate. As you can see from the photo, she really wasn't too fond of Santa the first time she met him; however, by Christmas Eve, you can see she changed her tune...what a smart girl! Of course, Santa rewarded her with oodles of presents (with a little help from her grandparents, aunties and uncles). And, now, Keith and I are living in a sea of plastic. Kate couldn't be happier...she loves her new "door", her stroller and grocery cart. These toys have each given her a newfound freedom--the ability to get across the family room while walking! Before Christmas, Kate was pulling up on the coffee table, activity center and especially mommy, but now, she cannot be slowed down! She still hasn't started taking any steps on her own, but we are all expecting that any day now!Kate was more entertaining than we expected, showing interest in opening up her presents (okay, really, more interest in playing with the wrapping paper and boxes), but still showed more interest in actually opening her gifts than we could have imagined.
My first holiday season as a full-time mommy was a bit more hectic than I had thought it would be. I found it hard to find time to go shopping and ended up having to shop both on and after my birthday...something I've not had to do before! I had images of me baking cookies with Kate playing at my feet, but instead, I only managed to bake one batch of cookies! The ingredients for my super yummy Rum Balls sit untouched...and it's Dec. 29! But, in the end, I realized as we sat on Christmas morning watching Kate open her gifts that the only thing that really matters is celebrating the holiday with our family. I'm so thrilled that Keith and I have the opportunity to begin making our own holiday traditions with our sweet little girl.
It's been such a busy season that I've not had the opportunity to write all of the things I've been thinking about... Kate's getting so big, it's getting harder to remember those early weeks when she was so tiny... sometimes as I put her to bed, I notice I hold her a little longer than I should, get a little extra snuggle in whenever I can and drink in her wonderful smell...all of these sweet moments will be gone in a flash so I want to be sure I take time to enjoy them and note them. My favorite gift this year was a journal...you know, one of those old fashioned things you write in!? I look forward to recording some of my more personal thoughts and messages there...messages to myself on those days when I have no more patience with her and messages to her when she is old enough to appreciate them.
I hope each of you were able to relax and spend share part of this wonderful season with your loved ones. With the New Year ahead of us, I wish for many blessings to you all and look forward to continuing to share our adventure in parenting with you!
2 comments:
That is the perfect picture of a baby's first pose on Santa's lap. Lexi will be very excited to show Kate all the ins & outs of her door :)
Thanks to baby kate for making this Christmas so special.
You were such a joy to watch.
There are so many special memories in Gmas brain forever.
Post a Comment