We did it...on Saturday, August 24, we introduced Kate to her first food: rice cereal. At nearly six months old this week, she was definitely ready (for those of you thinking, what? She won't be 6 months until the 5th...technically speaking she'll be 24 weeks on Wednesday)! She chowed down the rice cereal...ate like a horse, so we know she's got some of her dad in her since her mama eats like a birdie. Kate really likes to help mommy by grabbing the spoon. Of course, she grabs the wrong end, so she ends up a sticky mess. She ate well on Sunday, also, but today, she slowed down a bit because I think the two feedings from the weekend are still digesting! Who knew it could take her little digestive system so long to produce anything. With breastmilk, it pretty much runs right through her, but this stuff has real lasting power!
It looks like we'll do a couple weeks of rice cereal before I introduce some yummy vegetable and fruit purees. I'm going to make the food myself to start. Please, don't laugh. I know I barely get dinner on the table for Keith and me, but I think I can handle blending up some fruits and veggies!
Like everything when it comes to Kate, I'm fully researched on the subject. I've picked up several books about making baby food and have narrowed down my stack to a couple that I really like and can't wait to tell you all about my first experiences. This week I need to go pick up all of the proper tools...double steamer, new blender or food processor (not sure which I want, yet...so I appreciate thoughts from those who traveled this homemade baby food path before). My equipment will probably do, but I will be a bit more efficient with some updated tools.
I hate to say anything, but Kate had a fantastic day today. Napped at appropriate times, and for the appropriate lengths. I felt guilty at how much free time I had. I was able to finish the laundry I started (usually a 3 day process) AND did the grocery/meal planning. Perhaps I should have fed her sooner and it is helping her sleep better...or perhaps all of the work I've been putting into her schedule has finally paid off. Whatever it is, I hope it sticks because today was a great day!

No comments:
Post a Comment