CAPTION: Baby Kate catches a nap at the end of our photo shoot in June...we wiped her out!WARNING: Slightly depressing post ahead...but Keith says it picks up at the end! ;-)
I've always hated naps, and now, I really hate them. I love the idea that someday Kate will nap for more than 45 minutes during the day, but for now, I've grown to despise naptime.... Why? because 45 minutes is not enough time for me to accomplish much of anything and from what I've read, really isn't good for the baby. So, in order to "extend" the nap, I run in at 40 minutes and wait for her to stir (which she always does) and try to soothe her back to sleep before she fully awakes. It worked the first few times we tried this, but now, I'd say it works 1 out of 10 tries. When it doesn't work, I usually spend the next 30-45 minutes (minutes that are supposed to be "mine," 45 minutes that she should be sleeping) trying to put her to sleep. I usually give up exasperated, frustrated, overwhelmed and sometimes even crying. Then, usually, Kate is fussy during her next awake period and so the ugly cycle begins...
Now, it's not this bad everyday. Kate's actually quite sporadic...one day a perfect angel, the next not so much so. If it was this bad everyday, I would have already thrown in the towel. I have to admit that I sometimes wonder if maybe Kate would be better at daycare...that maybe I'm the reason she isn't napping. But then, she smiles, coos and giggles and fills my heart with joy and hope that perhaps I am doing most things right.
I knew becoming a full time mother would be difficult. That the monotony of the day would take work to overcome, that I would have to find ways to keep my mind busy, but I had no idea that what would frustrate me the most is not that I don't have anything to do, it's that I just am not able to get to the things I want to do... Welcome to motherhood, right?
Thank goodness Kate is a wonderful night sleeper. Eventually, she'll probably be a better napper...maybe not a great napper, but I am hopeful. In the meantime, I will try to enjoy the hours and hours Kate and I spend together snuggling as I try to soothe her to sleep. I know someday I will miss these days. On bad days like today, I try to relish in that thought.
So, anyone who has had similar nap problems, I shout out for your advice and guidance or at least your support!
2 comments:
nothing can be better than love from a mother. Don't base your mom skills on Kate's behavior. I've seen you in action and I am hard pressed to recall a stonger mother/daughter bond. You are a great mom and Kate is awesome. Love you both tons!!
Thanks, Tami! That means a lot coming from you and I'll remember that--even in the tough years when Kate wants nothing to do with me. Also, I wouldn't be so sure that there isn't a stronger bond out there--just look at you and Gab! I totally hope I have that one day!
Post a Comment